November 29, 2004

Iam better than this !

Yesterday I gave a party to my brother. His exams were over and both of us had gone to Tipsy-Topsy, the nearest food outlet to our home. I have never been a big junk food fan and so never tasted even a pizza. So wanted to try that out. Me and my bro, ordered a pizza, a burger and coke. It cost about 250 rupees. Even though I have never spent so much amount for food ever in my life, I did not feel any discomfort when I handed them the sodex ho coupons. After all, I have worked hard (?) for that money, and that money is supposed to be spent in any way I wish. I felt proud to pay 250 bucks from my own pocket.

After spending an hour at Tipsy-Topsy, we came out. What I saw then, hit me hard!Very hard!!...... Two children, each aged about 8 years, with torn clothes, running nose and carrying an empty plate ran towards me and begged for food and money. My impulsive reaction was to shoo them away and get out from that place. I have always thought of such people as irritants and whenever I see them I treat them with contempt.

But yesterday, I don’t know what changed within me. Here I stood, after burning 250 bucks for some junk food and there stood b4 me, 2 children hungry and begging. What a shame!! Just recalling the plight of those kids, did not allow me to sleep yesterday. How can I be so mean? After all, the difference between those kids and me is only that I have been lucky to have been born to a financially well-off family .Then why this mirage of lavishness.

I have been thinking a lot about this. And I have taken some decisions. I will never again see those poor people with contempt. Cut out on my parties and junk food and use the money I save, to feed as many kids possible. I want to bring the smiles back on the faces of at least some unfortunate children and I promise today that I will do that, no matter what.

1 comment:

Kansultant said...

Hi Mam,
First of all I thank u for posting ur comments on my post. I appreciate that.
Even though i agree with most of what u say, u r missing one point. My post is not regarding the ways to reduce poverty in India. I know that there is lots of work requierd to be done in this area, but the main crux of my post was to describe my feelings when i was confronted with the situation in front of the bakery.

I agree that what i have done will in no way help remove poverty and that is not what i intended to do in my post.

Hope u understand the subtle difference between the the actual post and ur perception of my post.